Get Paid While Training as an Apprentice
IEC Pennsylvania’s apprenticeship program covers residential, commercial and industrial construction and electrical wiring. Our four-year program is registered with the U.S. Department of Labor and the Pennsylvania Apprenticeship and Training Council.
Apprentices work full-time and attend instructional classes. We offer classes in-person in Mechanicsburg and York, PA and online classes so contractors throughout our footprint can participate.
Why Choose IEC Pennsylvania’s Apprenticeship Program
- Gain on-the-job experience in the electrical field
- Get paid for your work while training as an apprentice
- The program is often paid for by your employer, meaning no debt!
- Classes can count toward college credit
- Class work is directly related to your job
- Upon completion, you are qualified as an experienced electrician, not entry-level
Become an Apprentice
Interested in Becoming an Apprentice?
We make the application process as simple as possible so you can get started as soon as possible! Follow the steps below and review our apprenticeship resources for all requirements. You must complete all requirements to be eligible for our apprenticeship program.
Steps to apply for our apprenticeship program:
- Complete the application form
- Submit all required documents and $100 application fee
- Documents include: proof of age (driver’s license, birth certificate or social security card), high school diploma, high school transcript and three reference letters
- Other documents if applicable: college transcripts, veteran discharge papers DD214, and documentation of electrical work experience and/or training
- Complete the TABE math and reading assessment
- Schedule and attend 10-15 minute interview
Our pre-apprenticeship program is available for high school students and community members who are interested in the electrical field. The program is state registered and allows students to earn credits and others to learn our curriculum as they prepare for our apprenticeship program. Pre-apprentices gain hands-on experience in the field and opportunities to shadow electricians in all industries.
Becoming an electrician can offer a range of exciting benefits, including job security, competitive pay, and opportunities for advancement. As the world continues to rely more on electricity and technology, electricians are in high demand and are essential to keeping homes, businesses, and industries running smoothly. Additionally, electricians often have the satisfaction of knowing that their work helps to improve the safety and comfort of others.
The IEC is such a great organization. The electrical apprenticeship training it provides to all ages of both women and men alike is by far best in class. Anyone even thinking about getting into the electrical industry needs to contact the IEC, you won't be sorry. They will gladly help answer any questions you may have about the apprenticeship program.- Anthony Vislusky
What I appreciate the most about the Central PA IEC is that all of the people engaged genuinely care about the organization. No great things are ever accomplished without passion. This organization possesses passion from all that are engaged. From the leader Marissa Bankert, the board of directors, the teachers, and the students. An awesome organization.- Chris Schaffer
When I started utilizing the Central PA IEC I was amazed at the amount of resources that became available to me. They have an incredibly motivated staff that work together to provide an excellent service to the industry and the communities they serve. If you're interested in the electrical industry, I highly recommend the Central PA IEC!!!!- Tim Haller
IEC of Central PA is a wonderful resource for electrical contractors in Central PA. I can attest that they have done a better job communicating, supporting, and providing insights during COVID than virtually any other construction trade organization I am aware of. IECCP does great work and should be commended.- Greg Gunn